I first mentioned The Better World Shopping Guide in my first Not For Sale study notes. It is “the only comprehensive guide for socially and environmentally responsible consumers.” Their guide is based on research from these sources.
The guide ranks companies from A to F. They are ranked based on their record on the environment, human rights, community involvement, animal protection, corporate crime, discrimination, employee treatment, philanthropy.
Here are some highlights from the guide.
|The 10 Best List||The 10 Worst List|
- Baby formula human rights boycott
- “Most Irresponsible” corporation award
- Involved in child slavery lawsuit
- Aggressive takeovers of family farms
Altria (Kraft, Libby’s, Nabisco, Planters, Post)
- MM’s “Worst Corporation” list for 5 years
- Currently target of 2 major boycotts
- Greenwash Award for public deception
- Named global climate change laggard
- On MM’s “10 Worst Corporations” list
- Suppliers use child slave labor
- Target of fair trade campaign