This morning, after the children had finished their homemade waffles courtesy of Ji Seon and settled down to watch Toy Story 2, I read Psalm 119. It captures some of my recent thoughts, my longing to have the courage to follow God and to be filled with his love.
Archive for the 'Devotions' category
I have not done this for awhile.
Good moments were:
- Watching Isaac and Dylan share popcorn at the Farmer’s Market.
- Seeing the kids enjoy the new park.
But the best moment was seeing how Ji Seon appreciated the time off I gave her. I also enjoyed how much she laughed at one of my jokes. It’s been a long time since that has happened. 🙂
- Having a dinner date with Ji Seon at the Tofu House and enjoying soon-doo-boo ji-gae. Not so sure it sat well with my stomach later though.
- Watching Victoria and her new best friend, Summer, say hello to each other.
- Finally going to bed after being up since 1 AM. Isaac woke me up and afterwards I could not sleep.
“I take my children everywhere, but they always find their way back home.”
– Robert Orben
I love my kids but today’s best moment has to be the time I am spending now alone. Ji Seon took the kids to a friend’s for a play date and now I am enjoying peace and quiet while doing work and watching on the internet the Raptors get pummeled by the Cavs.
This morning was Isaac’s Christmas performance at his preschool. Isaac stood in the front row and just looked around while his classmates sang. Kind of like what Dylan did at that age except Isaac didn’t even try to do the motions. Isaac looked quite content though.
The best moment was at the park with the kids when Victoria was playing with me and smiling while trying to put her hand into my mouth.
The next best moment was meeting a mom who is new to the area and is looking for community. I suggested GrX and specifically the Mom’s Ministry and she agreed to let Ji Seon contact her.
The third best moment was helping Dylan learn how to slide down the pole.
What is not so great is that Isaac won’t say he loves me anymore. He only loves 엄마 (“umma”, mommy in Korean). Maybe I need to buy him more toys. 🙂
I read this in a blog about writing down the The Best Moment of Your Day. The idea is to see what the pattern is in what you consider the best moments.
Today the best moment was having friends over for dinner. We all attend GrX church but could not attend the church banquet because our children go to sleep earlier. Therefore I suggested we have our own small banquet at our house. We invited the Law family, Michael, Glo and their boys Elliott and Bennett and the Kim family, Kwang and Esther and their son Elijah. The Law’s and Kim’s did not know each other but they got along well, they’re both easy going.
It was just fun having friends together and enjoying each other’s company.
- I am grateful that today I got to spend some time with the kids. We had fun playing with their toys and then at the park. Ji Seon was out getting a foot massage.
- I am grateful that we got to eat kalbi twice today, once for lunch at our house and once for dinner at a friend’s. Enjoyed also the fresh trout.
- I am grateful that Alan tells me when I am going crazy.
- I am grateful that it’s December and we can still go outside and enjoy the weather, though it is pretty chilly at night.
- I am grateful this exercise is finally over.
This was an interesting exercise. I can’t say I have a greater spiritual appetite but I am glad I persevered and did it most days.
- I am grateful that I have only one more day of this two week exercise. 🙂
- I am grateful that we made it through a night of shopping with three kids.
- I am grateful that Ji Seon is even-keeled and helps me not to overreact to stressful events.
- I am grateful that my birthday is over. Birthdays can be fun but I prefer nondescript days.
- I am grateful that my children and wife are sleeping.
As you can see I missed a few days. And now I won’t be able to complain at the end of the exercise if I don’t feel a greater spiritual appetite since I did not follow the directions. 🙂
I am feeling though in a pretty grateful mood.
- I am grateful for my friends who sympathized and tried to help me with regards to the car scratching incident. It is looking now like the cost will be significantly lower than I initially feared.
- I am grateful for Sara and Tom. We occasionally take care of each other’s children so the other couple can enjoy a nice date. Tonight was our turn to go out.
- I am grateful that the South Bay has good Indian buffets like the one we went to tonight.
- I am grateful that my children are healthy and that we were so fortunate in having them w/o incident. I am grateful that nothing serious has ever happened to them.
- I am grateful that God has blessed my family so much with health, friends, family, material blessings, etc.
Today seemed like a normal day. I worked. I ate. What was different was I took Victoria to the playground by myself, Ji Seon stir fried some delicious pea pod stems, we got our prepaid T-Mobile phone and someone offered me Carl Boozer for Al Horford.
Here are some things I am grateful for today.
- I am grateful that we are nearing the end of our sickness. Amazingly Ji Seon still hasn’t gotten sick.
- Today we received the Sonship manuals I ordered. I am grateful that I have been able to go through the Sonship program with my cell group. It has been transforming.
- I started working on my budget for 2009. It looks a bit bleak but I am grateful that God has always provided.
- I am grateful that I have some extra hours so that I was able to request having the day off on my birthday.
- I am grateful that Ji Seon does such a wondeful job taking care of the family while I am working at home.