At the end of 2008 I was feeling pretty good about how I cut down my expenses. Then I got hit by a staggering series of medical premium increases.
- 12/18/08 – 15% increase effective 02/01/2009
- 01/16/09 – 30% increase effective 03/01/2009
- 02/20/09 – 12.32% increase effective 04/01/2009
The net increase is 68% over three months. To be fair the three inceases are somewhat coincidental.
- My premium had increased in 03/08 but I was not charged that until 02/09 because I had a 12 month freeze on rate hikes on my account.
- The 03/09 increase is the annual increase. The amount of 30% is unprecedented but apparently it’s happening everywhere, possibly because the insurance companies are afraid of what President Obama’s administration is going to do to them.
- The 04/09 increase is because Ji Seon is moving up into the next age bracket.
And to top it off a brand-name drug deductible of $250 for 2009 was added.
I hope President Obama’s administration does come up with an effective, national, affordable health care plan. Our family needs it.