In the past seven years Boston has witnessed six victory parades.
- February 2002 – New England Patriots
- February 2004 – New England Patriots
- October 2004 – Boston Red Sox
- February 2005 – New England Patriots
- October 2007 – Boston Red Sox
- June 2008 – Boston Celtics
As my friend Alan says, this is the “golden age of sports” for Boston.
Having lived in Boston for almost twenty years and being a sports fan I feel like I have gotten a pretty good read of the Boston sports scene. And honestly, though I am happy for the fans I would say that in general the Boston sports scene is a bit too “fantastic”.
Boston sports fan take their sports incredibly seriously.
- raucous, sometimes entertaining sports radio
- excellent local sports journalism
- loud and enthusiastic sports crowds
- fans are rarely satisfied
- emotions run incredibly high
- demands create an almost poisonous atmosphere
I have seen all the major sports teams in Boston and I think the Red Sox fans are the worst I remember being shocked at my first game at Fenway Park with how fans acted. They were literally angry if the Red Sox were losing. I must admit I have not gone since their 2004 championship, maybe they have lightened up.
In contrast here in Silicon Valley, California people enjoy their sports but they don’t really care. The sports scene really is the opposite of Boston’s but I prefer it. I think it’s healthier, sports is just a game. Unfortunately sports radio here is so boring. 🙂